Opening DXF files
Did your computer fail to open a DXF file? We explain what DXF files are and recommend software that we know can open or convert your DXF files.
What is a DXF file?
DXF stands for Drawing Exchange Format. Files that contain the .dxf file extension contain CAD vector image files.
The DXF file format is similar to the DWG file format, but DXF files are ASCII based and are therefore more compatible with other computer applications.
The DXF file format was developed as an exchange format for the CAD files that are created by computer aided drafting software applications. The file format was initially introduced in December of 1982 as a part of AutoCAD 1.0. The file format was meant to provide an exact representation of the data in the standard AutoCAD file format.
Software that will open, convert or fix DXF files
- IrfanViewVerifiedProgram has been verified by file.org to work with DXF files.
- AutoCADUser SubmittedNot yet verified by file.org
- DWG TrueViewUser SubmittedNot yet verified by file.org
- Microsoft Picture ItUser SubmittedNot yet verified by file.org
- Adobe IllustratorUser SubmittedNot yet verified by file.org
Try a universal file viewer
In addition to the products listed above, I would suggest that you try a universal file viewer like Free File Viewer. It can open over 200 different types of files - and very likely yours too! Download Free File Viewer.