Opening REC files
Did your computer fail to open a REC file? We explain what REC files are and recommend software that we know can open or convert your REC files.
What is a REC file?
Files that contain the .rec file extension are most commonly associated with the Topfield PVR digital video recorders. When a Topfield PVR digital video recorder creates a video file, that file is saved with the .rec file extension.
The REC file format is a proprietary file format that is also referred to as a Toppy file. REC files are compressed, which allows for added file space on the PRR digital recorder drive.
The ARCserve software application has also been known to use the .rec file suffix. These ARC filees contain archivation protocol files that are used by the software.
The Easy CD Creator also uses the .rec file extension. These REC files contain back up and recovery files that allow a user to restore lost or corrupt data on their hard drive.
Software that will open, convert or fix REC files
- VideoLAN VLC media playerVerifiedProgram has been verified by file.org to work with REC files.
- K-Lite Codec PackVerifiedProgram has been verified by file.org to work with REC files.
- WavePad Sound EditorUser SubmittedNot yet verified by file.org
- WavePad Audio-EditorUser SubmittedNot yet verified by file.org
- MixPadUser SubmittedNot yet verified by file.org
Try a universal file viewer
In addition to the products listed above, I would suggest that you try a universal file viewer like Free File Viewer. It can open over 200 different types of files - and very likely yours too! Download Free File Viewer.