Opening WMF files
Did your computer fail to open a WMF file? We explain what WMF files are and recommend software that we know can open or convert your WMF files.
What is a WMF file?
Files that contain the .wmf file extension are most commonly associated with Windows metafiles. These files are stored in a graphic file format and contain a series of drawing operations that are used to create vector images and raster graphics.
The WMF file format was initially created in the 1990's. This particular image format has been widely replaced by more recent and versatile image file formats, including the JPG and GIF file formats.
The Widelands software application has also been known to use the .wmf file extension. These WMF files contain the map files that are used by the Widelands application.
Software that will open, convert or fix WMF files
- Free File ViewerVerifiedProgram has been verified by file.org to work with WMF files.
- IrfanViewVerifiedProgram has been verified by file.org to work with WMF files.
- ImageMagickVerifiedProgram has been verified by file.org to work with WMF files.
- Pixillion Image ConverterUser SubmittedNot yet verified by file.org
- Corel Graphics ApplicationsUser SubmittedNot yet verified by file.org
Try a universal file viewer
In addition to the products listed above, I would suggest that you try a universal file viewer like Free File Viewer. It can open over 200 different types of files - and very likely yours too! Download Free File Viewer.