Opening TXT files
Did your computer fail to open a TXT file? We explain what TXT files are and recommend software that we know can open or convert your TXT files.
What is a TXT file?
Files that contain the .txt file extension are files that store unformatted generic text contents. These files can be created by almost any text editing or word processing application, however, the TXT file format does not support features and functions such as tables, graphics, bolding or italics.
Text files that are created in the TXT file format are structured as a series of text lines. These files are considered to be universal platform files and can be opened on almost any operating system including mobile devices.
Popular applications that save unformatted text documents with the .txt extension include Notepad and TextEdit.
Software that will open, convert or fix TXT files
- Free File ViewerVerifiedProgram has been verified by file.org to work with TXT files.
- OpenOffice.org WriterUser SubmittedNot yet verified by file.org
- OpenOffice.org CalcUser SubmittedNot yet verified by file.org
- LibreOfficeUser SubmittedNot yet verified by file.org
- LibreOffice CalcUser SubmittedNot yet verified by file.org
Try a universal file viewer
In addition to the products listed above, I would suggest that you try a universal file viewer like Free File Viewer. It can open over 200 different types of files - and very likely yours too! Download Free File Viewer.