Opening MANIFEST files
Did your computer fail to open a MANIFEST file? We explain what MANIFEST files are and recommend software that we know can open or convert your MANIFEST files.
What is a MANIFEST file?
Files with the .manifest extension are used to update older Windows programs. These files enable the associated programs to be used with the Windows XP or Windows Vista user interfaces.
The reason for the creation of the MANIFEST files is that older versions of Windows have a different look than the newer versions that are released by Microsoft. The MANIFEST file is what Windows uses to update the look of older applications on the computer when the newer operating system is installed.
While the functions of the associated program will remain the same once the MANIFEST file is active, the look of the application reflects the look of the newer Windows operating system.
Software that will open, convert or fix MANIFEST files
- Free File ViewerVerifiedProgram has been verified by file.org to work with MANIFEST files.
- WinRARUser SubmittedNot yet verified by file.org
- Microsoft Web Platform ExtensionsUser SubmittedNot yet verified by file.org
- Stuffit ExpanderUser SubmittedNot yet verified by file.org
- progeCAD ProfessionalUser SubmittedNot yet verified by file.org
Try a universal file viewer
In addition to the products listed above, I would suggest that you try a universal file viewer like Free File Viewer. It can open over 200 different types of files - and very likely yours too! Download Free File Viewer.