Opening ARC files
Did your computer fail to open an ARC file? We explain what ARC files are and recommend software that we know can open or convert your ARC files.
What is an ARC file?
Files that contain the .arc file extension are compressed archive files. These files are most commonly created as Macintosh Hierarchical File Systems or MS-DOS archives.
ARC files contain an archive of compressed files, allowing users to reduce the size of larger files or take volumes of multiple files and combine them into a single file archive.
This particular file format was very popular in the late 80s but the compression algorithm is now outdated and other file compression formats have taken its place as the newer file formats allow for greater compression of files, making the file sizes smaller and even easier to manage.
Software that will open, convert or fix ARC files
- BitZipperVerifiedProgram has been verified by file.org to work with ARC files.
- PeaZipVerifiedProgram has been verified by file.org to work with ARC files.
- BandizipVerifiedProgram has been verified by file.org to work with ARC files.
- PowerArchiverVerifiedProgram has been verified by file.org to work with ARC files.
- ALZipUser SubmittedNot yet verified by file.org
Try a universal file viewer
In addition to the products listed above, I would suggest that you try a universal file viewer like Free File Viewer. It can open over 200 different types of files - and very likely yours too! Download Free File Viewer.