Opening WIM files
Did your computer fail to open a WIM file? We explain what WIM files are and recommend software that we know can open or convert your WIM files.
What is a WIM file?
WIM stands for Windows Imaging Format. Files that have the .wim file extension contain disk images that can be mounted within the Windows operating system. These files allow a user to use the disk image on multiple computer platforms. WIM files are very similar to other disk image formats, but this file format is file-based and not and not sector-based like most disk image formats.
Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista both use the WIM file format as a part of their installation process. The WIM file format was actually developed by Microsoft in order to deploy the Windows operating environment.
Software that will open, convert or fix WIM files
- BitZipperVerifiedProgram has been verified by file.org to work with WIM files.
- PowerArchiverVerifiedProgram has been verified by file.org to work with WIM files.
- PowerISOUser SubmittedNot yet verified by file.org
- WinMount ApplicationUser SubmittedNot yet verified by file.org
- BandizipUser SubmittedNot yet verified by file.org
Try a universal file viewer
In addition to the products listed above, I would suggest that you try a universal file viewer like Free File Viewer. It can open over 200 different types of files - and very likely yours too! Download Free File Viewer.