Opening MTS files
Did your computer fail to open a MTS file? We explain what MTS files are and recommend software that we know can open or convert your MTS files.
What is a MTS file?
Files that contain the .mts file extension are AVCHD video files. AVCHD is an acronym for Advanced Video Codec High Definition. These MTS files contain high-def MPEG transport stream videos that have been captured by certain video camcorders.
The MTS file format was designed by Panasonic and Sony for use with their HD camcorder devices, although Canon, JVC and Sanyo camcorders now also use the MTS file format.
MTS files containing high-def video streams and can support both the 720p and 1080i HD video formats. The files can be played back on a user's computer using a variety of software applications including the Windows Media Player.
Software that will open, convert or fix MTS files
- Free File ConverterVerifiedProgram has been verified by file.org to work with MTS files.
- Any Video ConverterVerifiedProgram has been verified by file.org to work with MTS files.
- VideoLAN VLC media playerVerifiedProgram has been verified by file.org to work with MTS files.
- K-Lite Codec PackVerifiedProgram has been verified by file.org to work with MTS files.
- SyncUPUser SubmittedNot yet verified by file.org
Try a universal file viewer
In addition to the products listed above, I would suggest that you try a universal file viewer like Free File Viewer. It can open over 200 different types of files - and very likely yours too! Download Free File Viewer.