Opening JPG files
Did your computer fail to open a JPG file? We explain what JPG files are and recommend software that we know can open or convert your JPG files.
What is a JPG file?
The .jpg file extension is assigned to image files. Many photographs and Internet graphics are stored in the JPG file format.
JPG files are commonly referred to as JPEG images. JPEG is the acronym for Joint Photographic Experts Group. Many bitmap images are saved in .jpg format in order to compress the files. This makes it easier to transfer or download the files and use them on the Web.
The JPG file format is based on a 24-bit color palette, however, these files tend to drop information when they are decompressed. The higher the rate of compression was when the JPG file was created, the more the quality of the image will be affected when the file is decompressed.
Software that will open, convert or fix JPG files
- Free File ViewerVerifiedProgram has been verified by file.org to work with JPG files.
- IrfanViewVerifiedProgram has been verified by file.org to work with JPG files.
- ImageMagickVerifiedProgram has been verified by file.org to work with JPG files.
- Pixillion Image ConverterUser SubmittedNot yet verified by file.org
- Photo GalleryUser SubmittedNot yet verified by file.org
Try a universal file viewer
In addition to the products listed above, I would suggest that you try a universal file viewer like Free File Viewer. It can open over 200 different types of files - and very likely yours too! Download Free File Viewer.