Opening JPEG files
Did your computer fail to open a JPEG file? We explain what JPEG files are and recommend software that we know can open or convert your JPEG files.
What is a JPEG file?
JPEG stands for Joint Photographic Experts Group. The JPEG file format was created by this group as a compression format for larger bitmap image files.
Files that contain the .jpeg file extension are used to store digital images and photographs in a compressed lossy file format. This means that while the JPEG file format allows for a smaller file size, there may be a loss to the quality of the image that was stored in the file.
The JPEG file format is often used for graphics that are published on the Web and to store pictures that have been taken by a user's digital camera. Oftentimes JPEG files are stored with the .jpg file extension rather than the full .jpeg file suffix.
Software that will open, convert or fix JPEG files
- Free File ViewerVerifiedProgram has been verified by file.org to work with JPEG files.
- IrfanViewVerifiedProgram has been verified by file.org to work with JPEG files.
- ImageMagickVerifiedProgram has been verified by file.org to work with JPEG files.
- Pixillion Image ConverterUser SubmittedNot yet verified by file.org
- Photo GalleryUser SubmittedNot yet verified by file.org
Try a universal file viewer
In addition to the products listed above, I would suggest that you try a universal file viewer like Free File Viewer. It can open over 200 different types of files - and very likely yours too! Download Free File Viewer.