Opening JP2 files
Did your computer fail to open a JP2 file? We explain what JP2 files are and recommend software that we know can open or convert your JP2 files.
What is a JP2 file?
Files that contain the .jp2 file extension normally store compressed bitmap images. These files are most commonly created using the JPEG2000 Core Coding application.
The JPEG2000 Core Coding software uses a wavelet compression algorithm instead of the common DCT compression method that is used with standard JPEG images.
The JP2 file format can be used to store either lossy or lossless compressed JPEG images and provides the user with a better quality and smaller file size than the traditional JPG image files.
JP2 files are identical to JPX files, except they are stored with the .jp2 file suffix rather than the .jpx file extension.
Software that will open, convert or fix JP2 files
- Free File ViewerVerifiedProgram has been verified by file.org to work with JP2 files.
- IrfanViewVerifiedProgram has been verified by file.org to work with JP2 files.
- Pixillion Image ConverterUser SubmittedNot yet verified by file.org
- HoneyView3User SubmittedNot yet verified by file.org
- PhotoPad Image EditorUser SubmittedNot yet verified by file.org
Try a universal file viewer
In addition to the products listed above, I would suggest that you try a universal file viewer like Free File Viewer. It can open over 200 different types of files - and very likely yours too! Download Free File Viewer.