Opening XHTML files
Did your computer fail to open a XHTML file? We explain what XHTML files are and recommend software that we know can open or convert your XHTML files.
What is a XHTML file?
Files that contain the .xhtml file extension hold web pages that have been written using the XHTML syntax. The XHTML format is an improved version of HTML4, or rather, another way of writing web pages using a modified version of HTML.
The XHTML file format uses tags, just like the HTML file format, but the pages of the XHTML format conform to the stricter XML guidelines than HTML pages. Because the documents that are created in XHTML need to be well-formed, they are normally parsed using XML parsers, whereas HTML documents use more versatile HTML-specific parsers.
When a user visits a web page that is created in XHTML, they do not usually see the actual code that the page was written in. The user will see it through the web browser, and therefore usually don't need to care about what format the page is written in by the developer.
Software that will open, convert or fix XHTML files
- FlashPeak SlimBrowserVerifiedProgram has been verified by file.org to work with XHTML files.
- WindowsR Internet ExplorerUser SubmittedNot yet verified by file.org
- Swing BrowserUser SubmittedNot yet verified by file.org
- Comodo DragonUser SubmittedNot yet verified by file.org
- Opera Internet BrowserUser SubmittedNot yet verified by file.org
Try a universal file viewer
In addition to the products listed above, I would suggest that you try a universal file viewer like Free File Viewer. It can open over 200 different types of files - and very likely yours too! Download Free File Viewer.