Opening PCX files
Did your computer fail to open a PCX file? We explain what PCX files are and recommend software that we know can open or convert your PCX files.
What is a PCX file?
Files that contain the .pcx file extension store Paintbrush bitmap graphics. This raster image format was developed by Zsoft. The format was one of the original bitmap file formats to be used on the Windows and DOS operating systems.
The PCX file format supports 24-bit color graphics as well as 8-bit grayscale and indexed color images. PCX files are compressed with RLE encoding. A variety of scanning and digital fax applications use the PCX file format to store digital fax copies.
The PCX file format is now somewhat outdated and has been largely replaced by the PNG, GIF and JPEG file formats.
Software that will open, convert or fix PCX files
- Free File ViewerVerifiedProgram has been verified by file.org to work with PCX files.
- IrfanViewVerifiedProgram has been verified by file.org to work with PCX files.
- ImageMagickVerifiedProgram has been verified by file.org to work with PCX files.
- Pixillion Image ConverterUser SubmittedNot yet verified by file.org
- Adobe Photoshop CCUser SubmittedNot yet verified by file.org
Try a universal file viewer
In addition to the products listed above, I would suggest that you try a universal file viewer like Free File Viewer. It can open over 200 different types of files - and very likely yours too! Download Free File Viewer.