Opening M4B files
Did your computer fail to open a M4B file? We explain what M4B files are and recommend software that we know can open or convert your M4B files.
What is a M4B file?
Files that contain the .m4b file extension are used to store audio books that are downloaded from the Apple iTunes Store. M4B audio books are copy protected using the Apple "FairPlay" DRM technology.
The Apple FairPlay DRM technology prevents a user from playing the audio books on unauthorized computers and devices. A user may authorize up to five computers on a single iTunes account to play the audio book. If the user wants to play the audio book on more than five computers, he or she must create another account and purchase the book on the second account for use on an additional five computers.
The M4B file format is based on the MPEG-4 container file format. M4B files are usually compressed using AAC encoding. M4B files are similar to M4A files, but the M4B format allows for bookmarking of the files, making the M4B format more suitable for audio books and podcasts.
Software that will open, convert or fix M4B files
- Any Video ConverterVerifiedProgram has been verified by file.org to work with M4B files.
- iTunesVerifiedProgram has been verified by file.org to work with M4B files.
- MediaMonkeyVerifiedProgram has been verified by file.org to work with M4B files.
- AIMP3User SubmittedNot yet verified by file.org
- PotPlayerUser SubmittedNot yet verified by file.org
Try a universal file viewer
In addition to the products listed above, I would suggest that you try a universal file viewer like Free File Viewer. It can open over 200 different types of files - and very likely yours too! Download Free File Viewer.