What are DICOM files and how to open them
Are you having problems opening a DICOM file or just wondering what they contain? We explain what these files are used for and show you software that we know can open or otherwise handle your files.
What is a DICOM file?
A .DICOM file is a DICOM Medical Imaging Bitmap (.dicom) file.
Digitizing medical imaging is critical for the accurate analysis, comparison, and sharing of information. It’s an integral step in digital healthcare that allows quick, secure exchange of pictures between health practitioners and facilities.
DICOM seeks to provide an interoperable standard format — an absolute necessity in a world where healthcare organisations work with multiple providers using different systems. To meet this goal, NEMA created a comprehensive set of specifications so that medical images can be universally viewed across platforms without any exception.
Utilizing DICOM files for medical imaging has a number of benefits, including:
- Compatible with a wide range of medical hardware and software, DICOM is widely used in the medical community and facilitates the sharing of images between various facilities and providers.
- To ensure that medical images are displayed consistently and accurately on various devices, the DICOM format for storing and transmitting them includes a set of standards and guidelines.
- DICOM images are typically of high quality and are capable of being displayed at high resolutions, making them appropriate for diagnostic uses.
- Anonymization: DICOM enables the anonymization of patient data, assisting in the preservation of patient privacy and HIPAA compliance.
- Information about imaging parameters and devices is one type of metadata that DICOM files may contain.
- Electronic medical record (EMR) systems, for example, are integrated with DICOM, which can help to simplify the management and examination of medical images.
How to open DICOM files
We have identified four DICOM openers that are compatible with this specific type of DICOM file.
Programs that open DICOM Medical Imaging Bitmap (.dicom) files
Last updated: February 24, 2023
Help us help others
File.org helps thousands of users every day, and we would love to hear from you if you have additional information about DICOM file formats, example files, or compatible programs. Please use the links below or email us at email@example.com to discuss further.
Not sure exactly what type of file you are trying to open? Try our new File Analyzer. It is a free tool that can identify more than 11,000 different kinds of files - most likely yours too! It will help you find software that can handle your specific type of file. Download File Analyzer here.