Opening DDS files
Did your computer fail to open a DDS file? We explain what DDS files are and recommend software that we know can open or convert your DDS files.
What is a DDS file?
DDS stands for DirectDraw Surface. Files that contain the .dds file extension are used to store a variety of raster images.
The DDS file format is most commonly used by the Microsoft DirectX multimedia applications. This file format allows a user to store uncompressed and compressed pixel formats. It is the preferred file format for storing DXTn compressed data files.
The DDS file format is frequently used to store textures and environment maps that are used in gaming applications. This files are used to enhance a user's gameplay experience.
The DDS file format can also be used to store desktop backgrounds for the Windows operating system.
Software that will open, convert or fix DDS files
- IrfanViewVerifiedProgram has been verified by file.org to work with DDS files.
- HoneyviewUser SubmittedNot yet verified by file.org
- Microsoft DirectXUser SubmittedNot yet verified by file.org
- Ashampoo Photo CommanderUser SubmittedNot yet verified by file.org
- ImagineUser SubmittedNot yet verified by file.org
Try a universal file viewer
In addition to the products listed above, I would suggest that you try a universal file viewer like Free File Viewer. It can open over 200 different types of files - and very likely yours too! Download Free File Viewer.