Opening XLS files
Did your computer fail to open a XLS file? We explain what XLS files are and recommend software that we know can open or convert your XLS files.
What is a XLS file?
The .xls extension is given to spreadsheets that have been created in versions of Microsoft Excel that were published prior to the 2007 edition of the product. Microsoft Excel 2007 and later versions now use the .xlsx format rather than the .xls extension. This is due to the fact that the newer Excel software utilizes xml formatting for increased program and file efficiency.
Microsoft Excel is included in the Microsoft Office suite, although it can also be purchased individually. Excel is the application that is most commonly used to create spreadsheet documents, so most of the spreadsheets created today have the .xls or .xlsx file extension.
Software that will open, convert or fix XLS files
- Free File ViewerVerifiedProgram has been verified by file.org to work with XLS files.
- Microsoft OfficeUser SubmittedNot yet verified by file.org
- Microsoft Office XPUser SubmittedNot yet verified by file.org
- Quattro ProUser SubmittedNot yet verified by file.org
- OpenOffice.org CalcUser SubmittedNot yet verified by file.org
Try a universal file viewer
In addition to the products listed above, I would suggest that you try a universal file viewer like Free File Viewer. It can open over 200 different types of files - and very likely yours too! Download Free File Viewer.